Part Two: Hammer
Any incompleted orders from Part One are now forgotten. Start with order 36 and proceed from there.
36. (Compulsory) BC, from a position just S of 3400 (SE of R18, off table), calls in a heavy bombardment on W18 and W19. No, this isn't fair, but neither is it fair that you get to do what you want, while your foes are locked to a pre-set plan. Any and all stands of yours in W18 are hit by bombs, rockets, shells equivalent to 5d6 (no Kill Effect) each. Any and all in W19 suffer 4d6.
37. (Compulsory) BC calls in heavy artillery smoke missions that smoke off R18 to W17; W17 to W10; table edge 4000 to H6; H6 to W18, W18 and W19 themselves; and W18 to W10. Never mind putting down half a hundredweight of cotton wool, just understand that LOS is blocked from EVERYWHERE for an advance from 3500 to W18/19.
38. (Compulsory) Third Company advances en masse to W18. This consists of BC; BC SMG; HMG 3; FOO 3; PC 3-1; Squads 3-3a,b, and c; PC 3-2 and squads 3-2 a, b, and c; PC 3-3 and squads 3-3 a,b, and c. Any of your forces in W18 may fire point blank, in the smoke, counting targets as in cover. Squads 3-1a,b, and c lead the advance with PC 3-1 and BC SMG, and these will close-combat anyone in the southern half of W18. BC and CC 3 co-ordinate this one mega-group move which breaks the usual Crossfire rules which only allow for group moves up to platoon size. I'm writing this scenario, and I can do what I like. Rifle squads 3-2 a,b, and c and PC 3-2 arrive and will take on anyone in the N half of W18. Rifles 3-3a,b, and c with PC 3-3 will take on anyone in W19. If somehow you manage to hold off this entire force with your men in W18 and W19, then this instruction remains compulsory until it is completed. Your enemies will do all in their power with shooting, charging and generally making a fuss, until you or they are masters of this concentric wood.
39. (6) Third Company will deploy with Third Platoon (3-3) in W19, facing N. HMG 3 will attach to 3-2 Platoon and take up residence in the centre of the N half of W18, facing your biggest concentration of forces. 3-2 Platoon will deploy E of HMG 3 in W18. 3-1 Platoon will deploy W of HMG 3 in W18. BC and BC SMG deploy in W19. CC 3 and FOO 3 deploy in E half of W18, behind 3-2.
40. (4) Largest fire action available fires at any of your forces deployed to oppose a move from W18 to R7.
41. (3) Largest fire action available fires at any of your forces that might react to a move from W18 to R7.
42. (4) FOO 1 if he has LOS to W10, calls down HE on it.
43. (4) FOO 2 if he has LOS, calls down HE on your nearest forces in R7, W8 or W10. If there are no such forces, or FOO cannot see them, he will attempt to smoke off any with LOS to the nearest of these features.
44. (4) Enemy fires at any opposition to a move to R16 from W14 or W23 via W14. If opposition can be reduced to one rifle stand firing against targets in cover or less, all units in W23 and W14 move to R16. If R16 is already occupied by two non-officer stands already, and these can fire as a firegroup, then these open fire against any opposition to a move from R16 to R13.
45. (5) Third Company with fire and smoke attempts to neutralise any opposition to a move to W10. If opposition is lowered to one reactive shot from one rifle stand or less, Platoon 3-1 will group move to W10.
46. (4) Any mortars from Second or third Company, that have not fired this initiative, bring down HE on any of your forces able to react to a move from W18 to R7.
47. (5) Third Company with fire and smoke attempts to neutralise any opposition to a move to R7. If opposition is lowered to one reactive shot from one rifle stand or less, Platoon 3-2 will group move to R7.
48. (3) Platoon 3-3 will redeploy in the centre of the N half of W18, if it is now unoccupied.
49. (3) If units in R19 can move without receiving reactive fire to W20, they now do so. If a FOO can smoke off opposition to this move, he will.
50. (4) Second Company will fire at any of your forces able to react to a move from R8 to W6.
51. (3) First Company will fire at any of your forces able to react to a move from R16 to R14.
(Optional) Tea break. Have a nice cuppa and a few biscuits, and consider how things are going. Did you find Third Company's entrance a surprise? Did you really think that you'd be defending against equal numbers, when you have the ability to alter plans at will?
52. (5) Your enemy will fire with his biggest fire action from R7 or R8 at any forces that are now exposed in the open along crest C2.
53. (4) Third Company will fire at any resistance to a move from R7 to W7.
54. (4) If C2 is now clear of your forces, Second Company will bring up any remaining forces from Platoons 2-1 and 2-3, together with all units with them, and deploy these in R8, where as many as possible can shoot, with any over-spill using C2 for cover. If C2 is not clear, your enemy fires to clear it.
55. (4) First Company acts with fire and smoke to cover a move from R16 to R14. If you have one rifle stand or less to oppose this move, the move is made with all forces in R16.
56. (4) Second and Third Companies will call down fire and smoke to quash opposition to a move from R7 to W7. If potential reactors are one rifle stand or less, all forces in R7 move to W7.
57. (4) Your enemy fires to clear away opposition to a move from W10 to W9. If this can be lowered to 1 rifle stand or less, all forces from W10 deploy in W9, facing biggest threat.
58. (3) All forces in R19 move to W20. Never mind the opposition. They just don't care any more.
59. (2) First Company fires and smokes opposition to a move from R14 to W12. If opposition is one rifle stand or less, all forces from 1-3 Platoon with attached forces, move to W12.
60. (5) Second and Third Companies, using both FOOs 2 and 3, and biggest fire action, act to remove opposition to a move from W7 to R5.
61. (4) Third Company fires to clear the way for 3-3 Platoon to move to R7. If opposition can be reduced to one rifle stand or less, the move is made with all of 3-3, plus CC 3 and FOO 3, as a group move.
62. (3) 2-2 Platoon with HMG 2 move, if the way is clear, to C2.
63. (4) Fire the biggest fire action from Second or Third Company against any opposition to a move from R8 to W6. If the reaction can be lowered to a potential of 1 rifle stand or less, all forces in R8 except HMGs, FOO, and CC move to W6.
64. (3) First Company fires at the biggest concentration of your forces it can see.
65. (4) Second and Third Companies fire at any of your units who could react to a move from W7 to W5.
66. (3) Any units in W9 or W10 fire at their nearest foes.
67. (3) Any units in 1-1 Platoon move if unhindered to R15, unless they are in R15, in which case they move to F12 unless they would be fired on when doing this. If FOO 1 can smoke off any opposition to aid this move, he will, but if any unsuppressed troops of yours are in R12, the move is aborted.
68. (5) Your enemy fires and smokes to support a move to W6 by 2-2 Platoon. If the way is clear, they make the move, and they try to make the move if opposition can be brought down to 1 rifle stand or less. Deploy to face NE.
69. (4) Your enemy fires and smokes to support a move from W6 against G2. If the move may be made, it is. The strongest platoon in W6 attacks G2, close-combating any opposition there.
70. (4) Your enemy fires at any threats to its troops in G2.
71. (4) Your enemy fires at any opposition to a move from W6 to W3. If the move can be made safely without incurring reactive fire, all remaining forces in W6 move to W3.
72. (3) Any forces in R7 or W7 fire at any of yours in W8.
73. (3) First and Second Companies fire at any of your forces who would oppose a move from W9 to R6.
74. (5) Your enemy fires and smokes in support of attacks on any remaining forces in G2, G3, G4 and W4. Once opposition has been crushed and the area secured, forces will deploy in W6 to secure the area. Once this objective is taken, assess the attacker's losses. If he has lost 26 or more stands, his attack falters. You have saved the day. Otherwise, keep going.
75. (4) Fire and smoke will be used to support a move from any forces in R7 to move into R8. If this can be made without reaction, all forces from R7 enter W8.
76. (3) 2-1 Platoon stays in W6. Your enemy fires and smokes to enable a move from W6 to W5 to be made. If opposition dwindles to one rifle stand, the move is made. All forces except 2-1 move to W5.
77. (4) Your enemy fires and smokes to support a move from W7 to R5. If opposition can be lowered to one rifle stand, then all forces from W7 move to R5 and all in W8 move through W7 to R5, deploying to face nearest threat.
78. (4) Any forces in W5 retreat move to W6, then retreat move to G2, then move behind the hedge to G3, G4, then cross the river to W4, move through to W3, and fire and smoke in support of a move against W2. If opposition is one rifle stand or lower, they all move into W2.
79. (3) Your enemy directs as much fire-power as it can against forces in the area S4, S5, F4, F5.
80. (3) Your enemy directs as much fire-power as it can against forces in R3.
81. (3) Your enemy directs fire and smoke in support of a move from W2 to F5. If resistance can be reduced to one rifle stand, then the move is made by all forces in W2 down into the stream, along it, keeping to the banks, and into F5. Any forces from W3, W4, G2, G3, G4 and W5 join in if possible.
82. (4) Any forces remaining east of line 4000-4040 move to W7.
83. (5) Forces from First Company attempt to move north. 1-1 will move if possible onto H4 by any unhindered route. 1-3 and co. will retreat move from W12, or however far forward it got, and try to advance by any unhindered route to any of R9, R10, R11, R12, R13 that is as far forward as possible and able to support 1-1, if it still exists, against forces in any of the fields opposite. If any risk-free route exists into F1, 1-1 will go there. 1-3 will similarly attempt to get to F3 if possible. If not, fire will be directed at any unit that might frustrate such ambitions.
84. (4) Fire is made against any of your forces who might oppose a move from W9 to R6. If opposition can be lowered to one rifle stand or less, all forces from W9 move to R6. Stragglers will be in W10, W18.
85. (3) From current dispositions, your attackers direct all fire and smoke against those who would oppose moves from F5 and R5 against S4, S5, and F4. If opposition in S5 can be quelled, and F4 after that, then all forces in R5 will retreat to the river, move along it, and then up into S5. If S5 is empty, then the advance will be made to F4, deploying to face largest threat.
86. (4) Fire is directed against any who would oppose a move from R6 to R4. If the move is opposed by no more than one rifle stand, all in R6 proceed to R4.
87. (4) All fire is directed at any forces remaining on hill H3.
88. (3) All fire is directed at any forces remaining on crest C1.
89. (4) All fire and movement is directed against any remaining units of yours in S4, S5, F4, F5.
90. Assessment. If enemy has 10 or fewer stands of all types remaining, you have won. If enemy forces now hold hill H3, enclosures G2, G3 G4 and wood W4, and no friendly forces remain in stone enclosure S4, S5, F4, F5, then you have lost. If the enemy holds two of these three and has eleven or more stands remaining, you have forced a draw. If enemy now has one or none of these objectives, you have won.
Enemy's forces were three infantry companies plus one HMG platoon.